Friday, 17 October 2008
“The first sign of trouble was powder in the baby's urine. Then there was blood. By the time the parents took their son to the hospital, he had no urine at all.”
Sometimes it takes details like these to drive home the tragedy that is the Melamine tainting scare.
Statistics alone never works to convey the enormity of what had been let loosed to the world at large: 4 babies dead, and 53,000 sickened.
I remember an episode of CSI: Las Vegas (I stand to be corrected) where someone went around injected poisonous substance into mineral water bottles.
It’s an act that is calculated to do the most damage to the public at large as anyone and everyone could end up being the victim.
Case in point: excessive Melamine was found in Malaysian-made biscuits with further test concluding that the tainting having originated from raising agents from China.
And for once, consumers thought that avoiding milk products from one of the biggest Asian economy would be safe enough only to be jolted with the realization that the culprits – faceless to date – had moved the goalposts to include possibly non listed ingredients.
How in heaven’s name would concerned parents go about in filtering the items their children take on a daily basis?
At schools, in kindergarten, their own purchases from the grocery stores, which might or might not know of excessive melamine exposures.
What are we to do? Stop them from eating?
Yi Kaixuan was 6 months old when he died from the melamine tainting. The details above describes the moments leading to his death.
He was one in millions, and it could well have been any child.
What were they thinking?
This “money-over-everything else” is downright sickening.